FOR YEAR 2011-12
Dr. Jaya Sagade (Vice-Principal; Director – Women’s Studies Center; Coordinator – Center for Mental Health and Law)
Participation in Seminars:
- Made a presentation on “Role of Mahila Dakshata Samiti and Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005” in the State level Consultation on 18th April 2011 and 26 September 2011 at Police Research Academy, Pune organized by the Police Commissionorate
- Participated in Drafting of Alternate Women’s Policy for the State of Maharashtra on 27 August 2011 organized by Stri Mukti Andolan Samparka Samiti. Contributed a chapter on Women and the Law along with other members
- Made a presentation on “Legal Aspects of Child Marriages” in a National Consultation on “Child Marriages” 5th Dec 2011 at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi organized by the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights
- Participated in a meeting on “Drafting of the Mental Health Care Bill” on 27th and 28th January 2012 organized by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, New Delhi
- Participated in the International Conference on “Feminism and the Law: Revisiting the Past, Rethinking the Present and Thinking the Way Forward” from 10th to 12th February 2012 organized by the WSC, ILS Law College. Presented a paper on“Women’s Cultural Images as Contingent Particular and Universal in enforcement of Gender Equality”
- Made a presentation on “Legal Aspects of Single Women’s Right” in the State Level Workshop on 24th and 25th February 2012 organized by Tata Institute of Social Sciences – Tulzapur Center, in collaboration with the Indian Association of Women’s Studies
- Delivered a public lecture on “The Hindu Code Bill” at Satara on 28 Nov 2012 organized by Sambodhi Pratishthan
- Participated in a Discussion on “Sex Selective Abortion” on Aakashvani- All India Radio on 23rd January 2011
- A book on “Child Marriage in India: Socio-legal and Human Rights Dimensions” (2nd Edition, 2011, Oxford University Press, New Delhi)
- Article on “Immoral Traffic Prevention Act” in Marathi in Milun Saryajani in Diwali Special Issue, October 2011
Ms Archana More (Coordinator)
Training and Workshops:
- Conducted two training sessions on ‘Vishaka Guidelines’, for police personnel at the Department of Women’s Studies, University of Pune, on 26th September 2011
- Conducted one day training on ‘Child Marriage – its physical, psychological and sociological adverse effect on women and provisions of the Child Marriage Prohibition Act’, for members of NGO and community leaders at Vikas Deep Prakalpa, Mangaon, Dist. Raigad on 13th October 2011
- Conducted one day training on ‘Implementation of PCPNDT Act’ for members of NGO at the Center for Leadership, Committee of Resource Organizations (CORO), Aurangabad on 12th November 2011
- Made a presentation on ‘Linkages of Domestic Violence and Declining Sex Ratio’ at ‘Consultation on Declining Sex Ratio in Maharashtra’ organized by HALO Medical Foundation, Solapur on 13th November 2011
- Delivered a lecture on “Laws related to violence against women” at Consultation on Empowerment of Women organized by Karve Institute of Social Service, Pune and University of Pune on 30 November 2011
- Made a presentation on” Vishaka Guidelines and other Remedies on Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace” at Interdisciplinary National Seminar on ‘Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace organized by A.K. Home Science Mahila Mahavidyalaya, Nasik on 14th January 2012
- Made a presentation on ‘Laws Related to Women with Special Emphasis on Family Laws and Legal Provisions on Domestic Violence’ at seminar on Women’s Rights’ organized by S.P. College, Pune on 19 January 2012
- Delivered a lecture on ‘Empowerment of young women in the modern society’ at ‘Young Women’s Personality Development Workshop’ organized by Students Welfare Board, Pune University and Sable College of Pharmacy, Saswad, Pune on 14th February 2012
- Made a presentation on ‘Gender and Gender Review of the Schools’, for the Head Masters of Schools all over Maharashtra organized by YASHADA, Pune on 15th February 2012
Consultations, Seminars and Rallies:
- Participated in Protest Rally and Demonstration on ’Declining Sex Ratio’ organized by Stree Mukti Andolan Samparka Samiti, Pune, on 1st July 2011
- Participated in Consultation on ‘Alternate Women’s Policy for State of Maharashtra’ organized by ‘Stri Mukti Andolan Samparka Samiti’ Pune, on 20th August 2011
- Participated in Consultation on ‘Compensation to the Rape Victims,’ organized by Majlis, Mumbai, in association with the National Commission for Women on 28th August 2011
- Participated in Consultation on ‘Declining Sex Ratio’ organized by PM Shah Foundation, Pune, on 24th Sept 2011
- Participated in Rally on ‘Protest against State Intervention to dilute Section 498A’, organized by Stri Mukti Andolan Samparka Samittee Pune, on 9th December 2011
- Striyansathi Surakshitata: Gharat ani Gharabaher, in Mahila Dhoran Kase Asawe, by Stri Mukti Andolan Samparka Samiti, Pune, August 2011. Drafted the chapter on violence against women in the alternate women’s policy for the State of Maharashtra
- Garbhapat: Stricha Hakka ki Maryadit Mubha, article, in Pariwartanacha Watsaru, 16-30 December 2011
FOR YEAR 2012-13
Dr. Jaya Sagade (Vice-Principal; Director – Women’s Studies Center; ILS Law College, Coordinator – Center for Mental Health and Law, Indian Law Society)
Currently working on the following projects with the help of students
- Gender stereotypes
- Revisiting the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005
- Validity of Oral Talaq
- Mental Disorder as a ground of Matrimonial Remedy under the Hindu Marriage Act
- Sexual Harassment Bill
Participation at International Level:
- She was invited as an expert by the All Party Parliamentary Group of the British Parliament on 19th and 20th June 2012 at London to give evidence on Child Marriage.
Workshops and Seminars Organized:
- Organized a state level Meeting on the Marriage Amendments Bill, 2010 on 7th July 2012 at ILS Law College, Pune
- Organized a workshop for training the judges on Mental Health Law on 27th, 28th and 29th July 2012 at Maharashtra Judicial Academy, Mumbai
- Organized a workshop for training the judges on Mental Health Law on 13th and 14th October 2012 at Karnataka Judicial Academy, Bangalore
Participation in Seminars:
- Participated in a consultation on Development of Legal Programmes at TISS organized by Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai on 7th June 2012
- Participated in a State level consultation on PCPNDT Act organized by Stree Mukti Andolan Smapark Samiti at Pune on 6th July 2012
- Participated in the meeting on the proposed Marriage Amendments Bill, 2010 held at ILS law College on 7th July 2012. Presented the Bill.
- Made a presentation at consultation on “PCPNDT Act” organized by the Indian Medical Association at Pune on 8th July 2012
- Participated in a meeting organized by Women and Child Development Department of Government of Maharashtra on ‘Matrimonial Property’ at Mumbai on 25th September 2012
- Participated in a workshop on Public Interest Litigation organized by the Pune Bar Association at Pune on 8th December 2012. Presented a paper on “Women, Children and Public Interest Litigation”
- Participated in Panel Discussion on ‘Sexual Violence Against Women’ organized by Pune Antenna for Metropolis, an international network of women in governance at local bodies, along with the All India Institute for Local Self Government and the Pune nodal organization ‘Sfurti’, at Pune on 7th January 2013
- Participated in Panel Discussion on ‘Crimes Against Women and Reform’ organized by Rotary District 3131 , Council of Presidents 11-12 and 9-10 and Tridal, Pune, at Pune on 8th January 2013
- Made a presentation at a consultation on ‘The Clinical Establishment Act” organized by Jan Arogya Abhiyan at Pune on 2nd February 2013
- Participated in a panel discussion and round table discussion on the report titled, “Voices From The Field: Access to Contraceptive Services and Information in Haryana, India” organized by Centre for Health Law, Ethics and Technology, O.P. Jindal Global University and the Centre for Reproductive Rights, New York, on 22nd and 23d Feb 2013.
- Participated in a state level consultation on “Amendments to Criminal Law – Justice Verma Committee’s Report, 2013. Made a presentation on “Recommendation of Justice Verma Committee Report on Sexual Offences” organized by Stri Mukti Sampark Samiti – State level coalition of Women’s organizations at Pune on 24th March 2013.
- Conducted a sessions on Marriage Laws and Mental disorder for the judges at the workshop on Mental Health law at Maharashtra Judicial Academy, at Mumbai on 27th and 28th July 2011.
- Conducted a sessions on Marriage Laws and Mental disorder for the judges at the workshop on Mental Health law at Karnatak Judicial Academy at Bangalore on 13th and 14th October 2012
- Delivered a lecture on ‘Women and the Law’ to the students of UPSC and MPSC organized by Chanakya Mandal at Puen on 23rd January 2013
- Delivered a lecture ‘Constitution of India and People’s Rights’ at Gandi Bhavan as a part of celebration of Democracy Week at Pune on 4th February 2013
- Delivered a lecture on “Women’s Right” to the Officers of LIC at National Insurance of Academy, Pune on 9th March 2013
- Participated in a meeting organized by the Department of Health and Family Welfare with the Legislative Department of the Ministry of Law and Judiciary, New Delhi to discuss a proposed draft of the Mental Health Care Bill on 28 and 29th June 2012.
- Submitted an alternative Bill on ‘Sexual Assault’ to Justice Verma Committee on legal reforms relating to sexual violence against women on 29th January 2013.
- Participated in the panel discussion and the round table discussion on the report titled, “Voices From The Field: Access to Contraceptive Services and Information in Haryana, India” organized by Centre for Health Law, Ethics and Technology, O.P. Jindal Global University and the Centre for Reproductive Rights, New York, on 22nd and 23d Feb 2013.
- Chaired a guest lecture delivered by Ms Flavia Agnes, Advocate on “Domestic Violence against Women” at Women’s Studies Center, University of Pune on 11th March 2013.